We ask that all beginners visit the CSJCC any Tuesday or Thursday to watch one practice before beginning. To get an idea of the martial art, please look below, at our Practice and section. Upon deciding to practice, you are invited to a first practice no charge.
What you need to know before practicing:
You must pay the dues to the CSJCC at the beginning of every month.
This Dojo is non-profit, meaning fees go directly to the community center. None of our instructors are paid to teach kendo . We do, accept donations that support the website, new equipment for the dojo, traveling fees and events held by Shin Sou Fu Kan.
How Does Ranking Work?
Kendo practitioners do not wear any rank identificationt. Ranks are based on a system from the Japanese chess game "Go."
There are a total of 14 ranks in kendo; 6"kyu"ranks (lower level) and 8 "dan"ranks (higher level).
All ranks are attained through nationally sanctioned examinations conducted by a panel of instructors appointed by the AUSKF (All United States Kendo Federation).
DOJO PRACTICE TIMES
TUE & THURS
Charles Schusterman Jewish Community Center
2021 E 71ST ST, Tulsa, OK 74136
12 MONTH SUBSCRIPTION:
$38.33 / month single adult
= $459.96 per year
$52.83 / month family
=$633.96 per year
Practice begins according to the schedule, and participants should always endeavor to make it to practice on time.
1. Tai-so (exercises) members undergo a series of dynamic stretches before commencing practice.
2. Ashi-sabaki (footwork) that uses the entire length of the dojo floor.
3. suburi (practice swing) an individual technique, that involves a number of attacks using the bokuto (wooden practice sword).
4. Rei-ho (etiquette). Kendo places a large emphasis on proper attitude in the dojo, and respect should be maintained throughout the practice.
5. Keiko (practice) involving the use of bogu (protective equipment) and shinai (bamboo sword). This practice is very loud, and physically demanding.
6. After keiko, students again perform the rei-ho to close practice. Senior students present will offer individual advice to every participant for personal reflection and improvement outside of class.
REMEMBER: THIS IS YOUR PRACTICE! You will only ever get back what you put in, so do your best every time!
Equipment can be purchased from the following recommended websites: